REVIEW: Sleeping Tom

SLEEPING TOM
by E.V. Fairfall


Pages: 343 (paperback)
Publisher: R Mind
Publication Date: February 14th 2015
ISBN: 9780991283224
Received From: I was given this book from the author before publication as a BETA reader. 


Summary 


Hitchhiking is a bad idea but Caden is desperate. When she accepts a ride from the first car to come by she meets Gabriel. He's her age, hot, and the closest thing she has to a savior. Problem is, he is a total jerk. With nowhere to go, Caden convinces Gabriel to let her stay with him for one night. He reluctantly lends a couch.
That night Caden wakes up to strange noises. Concerned, she rushes into Gabriel’s room, already anticipating his bad temper. Instead, he’s kind, sweet, and suspiciously harmless—nothing like the man who gave her a ride. He seems like a different person altogether, and claims he is. By night he is Tom, and by day he is Gabriel. Caden finds herself drawn to the mysteries hidden in his eyes. 
For Gabriel, Caden is an annoying mistake. One night turns into many, and despite all his anger towards her, she stays. She even seems to accept him and his flaws, but he still doesn’t trust her—is she staying for him, or has she already discovered more than he's willing to share?



Review

I had the PLEASURE of reading this book back in October as a BETA reader and I've been in love with it ever since. E.V. got in touch with me after I reviewed her book Transformed and asked if I wanted to maybe help with future releases. Sleeping Tom is actually my favourite book of hers as I felt so much for these characters it was unreal!

I think the main reason I loved Caden so much was that she wasn’t the typical YA protagonist. Yes, she did have the odd moment, like getting in a car and staying with a hot stranger, but you could read in her thought process that she knew it was mad to stay. That she didn't just accept that everything would be okay and that she realised she could very well end up a TV special. However, at the same time she weighted up her options and did what she felt she had to do. There was a rational side to the character that made her all the more relatable and the fact she wasn't perfect was endearing.


The only thing I really had an issue with was Gabriel, now I know he's a pretty big part of the book so having a problem with him might be seen as a big issue but that's not really the case. The boy frustrated me and in all honesty I had no idea why he did half the things he did but it was his actions throughout the book that lead Caden's story. The parallels between her and Gabriel made the book all the most interesting. So I think I'm just going to but that down to the fact I do not for the life of my understand men! 

Now, I'm not usually a fan of cliff-hangers as you all know HOWEVER I'd be lying if I said this one wasn't pretty damn epic. It gave you all the information you needed about the characters so that I was satisfied that it had concluded and yet left questions about what was going to happen. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment