Bloggers' Pick #1


With every new season comes a whole pile of new and exciting books to add to our shelves, but with so many choices how do you decide what to read? Well don't fret because that's why you have us, your trusty Book Bloggers. At the beginning of each season we're going to give you a helping hand, and with Summer on it's way, here are your bloggers Most Anticipated Summer Reads
For more information on each book just click on the covers and it will take you straight to Goodreads. 





For me this is an easy question. The book I can't wait for this summer is The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness. It's the third and final instalment of her All Souls Trilogy and I'm so excited to see how Harkness concludes this story. So far the series has been an intelligent and exciting take on the supernatural culture we've all come to love. It's the perfect read for those of us who love a vampire but are fed up of the twilight kind. If you haven't read this series yet then I suggest you go get reading because The Book of Life hits shelves July 15th.





Isabel couldn't make up here mind - and who can blame her - so we have two choices from Tween 2 Teen Books!

Okay, Push by Eve Silver and Opposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout! 

Push is the sequel to Rush and is in a new kind of world that at least I haven't read about before. It manages to merge aliens and video games and still make it sexy.
Opposition is the final book in the Lux series! Considering the major cliffhanger of the previous book, this is a must have! It's about aliens, something not super popular with YA, which makes it even better!




Books: Sister's Fate by Jessica Spotswood (the last book in the Cahill Witch Chronicles - first book: Born Wicked)
Release Date: August 14th


I'm super excited about the release of Sister's Fate because it's the last book in what has become one of my favourite series. Considering that the second book ended with was too many feelings and lots of tears, this one promises an epic conclusion and (hopefully) lots of answered questions. Also, there's guaranteed to be more Finn and -swoon- that's never a bad thing! I've been preparing for this book (physically, mentally, and emotionally) for a long time and just thinking about its release gets me all pumped up. So friends beware, you're not going to want to talk to me on August 14th - I'll be too busty hanging out with the Cahill witch sisters!





I can't wait to read On the Fence by Kasie West this summer! I loved The Distance Between Us, another contemporary romance written by the same author, so I have a feeling that I'll love this one too. Like the main character, I'm a not-so-girly-girl myself, so I have a feeling that I'd be able to relate well. Also, I just love boy-next-door romances! It's like this book is jam packed with awesomeness! Plus, don't you just love the cover? :)

Everyone should be excited about On The Fence! It's another one of my top reads for the summer as well! ~ Mily




My most anticipated book of the summer is The Teashop On The Corner by Milly Johnson.

The reason why I'm excited for Milly's upcoming book is because she's fantastic. Enough said really. The last book I read of hers was It's Raining Men and it was one of the very first books I read for my blog. With Milly's characters, they have a lovely and heartwarming connection. She invites you warmly into their lives, you go on their journey with them and before you know it, they've grown into incredible people right in front of their eyes. Milly is a wonderful author and person. For me, she doesn't get enough praise and I absolutely can't wait for this book to come out. I may squeal with joy when I open the parcel. 
I highly recommend that you read Milly's books because they truly are incredible. 
You can find her  on Twitter @millyjohnson





Sophie also couldn't make up here mind, so we have two choices from Reviewed The Book!

First one is The Life You Left by Carmel Harrington. I love Carmel's first novel Beyond Grace's Rainbow! It was my book of 2013 and I've had the feeling ever since I read it that I will love anything Carmel writes. I pre-ordered The Life You Left as soon as I could and have been counting down the days until it arrives on my Kindle ever since! The cover is gorgeous - really summery too and the book just sounds amazing! So, if June 19th isn't a lovely summery day for me to sit out in, start (and finish) The Life You Left, I'm going to sulk.
My second most anticipated book is a lot different - Homeroom Diaries by James Patterson. Early reviews for this Young Adult book haven't book great but having read virtually everything he's written, I'm yet to find one I didn't enjoy. The plot sounds quirky and original and Patterson can write anything. Got to wait until mid-July for this one though!



Gates of Thread and Stone by Lori M. Lee (release August 5th, 2014 by Skyscrape)

I am so, so excited to read Gates of Thread and Stone! I've been intrigued by this one ever since I discovered it. A fantasy with a super creative and cool sounding title? Yes, please. Then there's the author blurbs... five are listed on Lori's site, and they are just incredible.They're enough to make anyone read the book! Everything about this book just seems like one I would enjoy, and I can't wait to read it.

For the record I'm also really excited about this one! ~ Mily 




Since You've Been Gone By Morgan Matson

Morgan Matson has written some of my favourite summer contemporaries and so the book I'm looking forward to the most this summer is her new book Since You've Been Gone. For the most part her books are a lot of fun and very cute but they also usually have some important issues there which I really enjoy reading about. Since You've Been Gone sounds like it's a book about friendship, epic to do lists, and an unforgettable summer. It's received glowing reviews from a lot of my blogger friends already and now that it's officially out I'm going to have to order a copy!




My most anticipated book of the summer, is Take Me On, by Katie McGarry, which isn't far from realising. Its release date is May 27th, which makes it more of a spring release than a summer one, but I can't wait to read it. Take Me On is the forth book in the Pushing The Limits series. I have currently only read the first book, Pushing The Limits, However it was one of my all time favourite reads. I picked this as my summer read, because I'm not going to get round to it until then, I have to catch up with the other 2 books in the series before I can get started. I loved Katie McGarry's writing style in the first book, and can't wait to get my hands on it. Over the summer I will be reading all 3 of the books, and getting myself into a Katie McGarry bubble, and I'm really looking forward to starting.
The Pushing The Limits series, follows sets of teenagers as they deal with personal, and family issues, covering a variety of areas. The main plot lines in the books, is how the 2 main characters find each other, how they help, get to know and eventually fall for the other. Take Me On, will be following the characters West and Haley, while they fight their secrets and try to keep their relationship in the ring. 




One book that I'm really excited about is The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles, #1) by Mary E. Pearson. Release date: July 8th.

To defy your fate and by default relinquish all the advantages of your station, and follow a path with no predetermined end takes courage and humility. This is what Princess Lia does when she refuses to marry the man her family has chosen for her. To find yourself confronted with the path you refused to follow, makes for an excellent adventure and why I am looking forward to reading The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson this summer.



The book I am extremely excited for this summer is Landline by Rainbow Rowell. I am a massive fangirl of her books. Her writing is incredible. I always get completely swept away by her books and when I read and review her most recent book Eleanor and Park, I said I really wanted it to be make into a film and literally a few weeks later, there was a big announcement about it being turned into a film! SO SO SO excited! So yes, CANNOT WAIT until Landline is released in July :D.

Who doesn't love a bit of Rainbow Rowell? Still fangirling over Fangirl! ~ Mily



This is a collection of short stories from Four's perspective. From Divergent to Allegiant, we've seen how Tris has grown, both mentally and physically, and I think it's only fair that we see Four's growth. I'm excited to see Four from Abnegation boy to Dauntless leader. We can see his transformation in parallel to Tris's and see how she changes his mind set. I always find it incredibly interesting to read companion novels from other characters' perspectives. As sad as I was to see this series end, I'm excited that it's not completely over. Not just yet.




Say Her Name by James Dawson (released June 5th)

I have a special place in my heart of ghost stories, and so any new YA that comes out featuring ghosts already has me excited! I'm especially looking forward to this book, though, as it takes the legend of "Bloody Mary" - a legend I'm sure no sleepover had ever been without! I remember daring friends to say her name in the mirror and being terrified to do it myself. I think Say Her Name will be the perfect nostalgic ghost story for me, though perhaps not the typical "summer-y" reading choice!



My most anticipated read of the summer is: What a Girl Wants by Lindsey Kelk

I love Lindsey Kelk, she has a way of putting a smile on my face at any time of the year, however lately her summer reads have been THE thing I need to take on my travels with me. Last year when About a Girl came out I was unsure about it as I loved the I Heart Series and was worried it wouldn't live up to expectations. I was wrong, it was fantastic and even better that it was set in Hawaii. I fell in love with the characters just as I had down with Angela in the I Heart series. So when I found out there was going to be a sequel to About A Girl I couldn't wait. So I am waiting very patiently for July to roll around so I can get my hands on a copy of What a Girl Wants. 



Most Anticipated Summer Read: The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings

I am a complete sucker for books with gorgeous covers so of course I had to check out The Murder Complex when I first saw a picture back in 2013. From the first sentence of the description I was HOOKED, it's full of action and chills. The Murder Complex is set in the future when the murder rate is higher that the birth rate, 15 - year old Meadow Woodson has been trained to fight and survive in any situation. She lives with her family in Florida, a state that  is controlled by The Murder Complex, an organisation that tracks the population. WOOOOOW and I'm very serious right now, it sounds pretty awesome. This action-packed thriller comes out June 10, 2014 and I look forward to reading it during the summer. 



So that's what we're looking forward to this summer! There's something for everyone, from Contemporaries to Thrillers, Ghost Stories to Romance & a lot of YA goodness. A BIG thank you to all the wonderful bloggers that took part and PLEASE don't forget to head over to their sites and check them out, you won't regret it! 

See you all again in the Fall for another Bloggers' Pick


As we're celebration all the new and exciting books to be hitting the shelves this summer I though we'd have a little Giveaway. Don't Even Think About It by Sarah Mlynowski was one of the books to be lucky enough to celebrate it's publication birthday this Spring and we have one copy to giveaway! 

(UK only due to postage)

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting me take part. Great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome :) Thanks for being a part of it!

      ~Mily

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for including me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to have you :) Thanks!

      ~Mily

      Delete
  3. Thanks for letting me be a part of this awesome post! These look like some great books, definitely putting them on my tbr list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I think I added most of these to my TBR list. Thanks for taking part :)

      ~Mily

      Delete
  4. Great post; this is such a great idea! If you ever need another blogger, let me know, I'd love to join ;)

    Rachel @A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I'll add you to the list :) The next post will be around September sometime

      ~Mily

      Delete
  5. I don't think I could even pick! There are so many I'm looking forward to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have far too many that I am looking forward too!!! ATM I can't wait to finally get the time to read Open Road Summer and The Winner's Curse :)

    ReplyDelete